Black Berry & Apple Galette
A delicious alternative to the traditional butter shortcrust, this sweet olive oil pastry has a more-ish biscuity texture and makes a perfect vehicle for the slightly tart spiced apple & blackberry filling.
FOR THE PASTRY
- 300g plain flour
- 70g caster sugar
- 1 tsp baking powder
- pinch salt
- ½ cup Great Southern Groves Extra Virgin Olive Oil
- ¼ cup cold water
FOR THE FILLING
- 8 Granny Smith apples, peeled, cored, and sliced (or a mixture of tart apples)
- ¼ cup brown sugar
- zest and juice of a small lemon
- ¼ tsp ground cinnamon
- ¼ tsp ground nutmeg
- 1/8 tsp ground cloves
- 250g fresh blackberries
(you can use frozen – thaw and drain surplus liquid before cooking)
- 1 Tb ground almonds
- Egg wash: 1 egg, lightly beaten with 1 TBS water
- Raw sugar for sprinkling
Make the filling first
- Place all the ingredients except the blackberries into a medium pot.
- Cover and simmer, stirring occasionally until the apples are semi-soft (about ten minutes).
- Add the blackberries and cook for a further 2 minutes. Allow to cool.
- (Taste and add more sugar if you prefer it sweeter)
To make the pastry
- Preheat oven to 180ºC.
- Place flour, sugar, baking powder, and salt in a medium bowl.
- Add the olive oil and cold water and stir together with a fork (see notes).
- Once the dough is starting to come together, use your hands to bring the mixture together then tip it onto the bench and knead lightly until it forms a smooth ball.
- Place the pastry between two sheets of baking paper and roll out into a circle measuring approx. 30-35cm in diameter.
- Remove top sheet of baking paper and lift pastry on the bottom sheet of baking paper into a cast iron pan (see notes.)
- Prick the pastry base all over with a fork, then scatter over the ground almonds.
- Place the apple & blackberry filling evenly into the dish and fold the edges of the pastry over to make a border. (If the pastry breaks, just patch it together – it’s not meant to look perfect.)
- Brush the pastry border with egg wash and sprinkle the whole galette with raw sugar.
- Bake in the preheated oven for 40-45 minutes until golden.
Serve warm straight from the pan with cream or ice cream – or both!
Use any kind of dark berry in place of blackberries.
Counter-intuitively, it is recommended that you make this pastry by hand (using a fork) rather than in a food processor – it’s easier!
It is delicate to handle, but if it does break, just patch your galette with the broken pieces – it all adds to the rustic look!
We baked our galette in a cast iron frying pan with a 20cm diameter base – it makes it easy to handle and keeps everything nicely contained. You can always make it straight on to a baking paper-lined baking sheet if you prefer.
Optional – cut stars from re-rolled pastry scraps for decoration.
Date: August 31, 2023