Apple, Honey And Olive Oil Cake
This apple cake is almost like a tart. Delicious with a coffee or as a dessert served warm with cream or ice cream.
4 large red apples, peeled, cored and thinly sliced
5 TBS sugar
5 TBS plain flour
5 TBS Great Southern Groves Extra Virgin Olive Oil
1 tsp baking powder
4 large eggs (preferable free range or home grown)
2/3 cup South West Coastal honey
- Preheat oven to 180°C.
- Grease or line 20cm spring form cake tin.
- Place the apple slices in a flower pattern and in layers until all the apple is used.
- In a bowl, combine flour, baking powder, sugar, olive oil and two of the eggs. Whisk until smooth.
- Pour batter over apple slices evenly and bake for 20 minutes.
- Take tin out of the oven and increase to 200°C
- Combine honey and remaining eggs in bowl and mix well. Pour over cake and bake for a further 15-20 minutes until golden brown and when skewer comes out clean. Make sure it is well cooked so it doesn't taste "eggy" and the top and sides are well caramelised.
- Enjoy for morning tea or as a dessert.
NOTE: This recipe was adapted from a recipe on www.pickledplum.com. Caroline had adapted it from a French cookbook Le Pain Quotidien Cookbook.
Date: September 27, 2023