This apple cake is almost like a tart. Delicious with a coffee or as a dessert served warm with cream or ice cream.
4 large red apples, peeled, cored and thinly sliced
5 TBS sugar
5 TBS plain flour
5 TBS Great Southern Groves Extra Virgin Olive Oil
1 tsp baking powder
4 large eggs (preferable free range or home grown)
2/3 cup South West Coastal honey
1. Preheat oven to 180oC.
2. Grease or line 20cm spring form cake tin.
3. Place the apple slices in a flower pattern and in layers until all the apple is used.
4. In a bowl, combine flour, baking powder, sugar, olive oil and two of the eggs. Whisk until smooth.
5. Pour batter over apple slices evenly and bake for 20 minutes.
6. Take tin out of the oven and increase to 200oC
7. Combine honey and remaining eggs in bowl and mix well. Pour over cake and bake for a further 15-20 minutes until golden brown and when skewer comes out clean. Make sure it is well cooked so it doesn't taste "eggy" and the top and sides are well caramelised.
8. Enjoy for morning tea or as a dessert.
NOTE: This recipe was adapted from a recipe on www.pickledplum.com. Caroline had adapted it from a French cookbook Le Pain Quotidien Cookbook.